Ham & Cheese Frittata
A simple Italian-style omelette made with ham and Gruyere cheese and served with a green salad.
- 4 medium new potatoes (approx 70g each), halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 of round lettuce, leaves torn
- 100g of Gruyère cheese, grated
- 1 small onion (approx 110g), finely chopped
- 120g of sliced cured ham, chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 180ml of milk
- 6 medium eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- Serves: 4
- Course: Lunch
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 25 mins
- Price per person: £1.68
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 410
- 5-a-day per serving: 0.6
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the grill to high. Cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 6 minutes, or until tender.
- To make the dressing, mix together the vinegar and 1 tbsp oil. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Mix the eggs, milk, cheese and mixed herbs in a bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and cook the onion for 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Stir in the ham and cooked potatoes and pour in the beaten eggs, making sure the other ingredients are covered. Stir the egg mixture to break it up a little as it begins to cook. Cook for 2-3 minutes over a medium heat, or until the edge of the frittata begins to set.
- Place the frittata pan under the grill and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the egg is cooked and the top is golden.
- Toss the torn lettuce leaves with the dressing and serve alongside the cooked frittata.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)