A home-made quiche with tuna, green beans and olives served with boiled new potatoes.
- 4 medium new potatoes (approx 70g each), quartered
- 200g of fine trimmed green beans
- 185g of tinned tuna chunks
- 150ml of double cream
- one-third 185g tin of black olives, halved
- 40g of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 120g of margarine/butter
- 200g of plain white flour
- 2 free range medium eggs, beaten
- 100ml of milk
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- Oven temp: 180c
- Price per person: £1.50
- Store cupboard: Typical
- Calories per serving: 871
- 5-a-day per serving: 0.6
- Print Recipe
- To make the pastry, sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a large bowl. Add the margarine/butter and rub it with your fingers until the mixture is even in colour and resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in 2 tbsp water and mix together. Continue to mix, adding water as necessary, until the dough begins to hold together (if you add too much water, add extra flour until you get the right consistency). Shape the dough in to a ball. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven. Cook one third of the green beans in lightly salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Remove them with a slotted spoon and retain the water to cook the remaining beans later.
- On a floured work surface roll out the pastry until it is 3mm thick and use to line a 25cm (10 inch) flan tin. Trim off the excess pastry around the edge and chill in the fridge for 10-20 minutes.
- Mix together the double cream, milk, eggs and half of the Parmesan. Season generously with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Evenly arrange the green beans, tuna and olives into the pastry case and pour on the egg mixture. Sprinkle on the remaining Parmesan cheese and bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the quiche is set and the top is golden.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 8-10 minutes, or until tender. Re-boil the water used to cook the first third of green beans to boil the remainder for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Drain the potatoes and green beans and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the quiche with sides of boiled new potatoes and green beans.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)