Lemon Roast Chicken & Vegetables
Lemon roast chicken breasts with crispy potatoes, parsnips and carrots.
- 1 medium lemon, halved lengthways
- 1 small baking potato (approx 250g), peeled and cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 1 medium carrot (approx 125g), sliced
- 1 small red onion (approx 110g), cut into 8 wedges
- 2 value skinless chicken breast fillets
- 1 medium parsnip (approx 285g), peeled and cut into 5cm long batons
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp margarine/butter
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp white caster sugar
- 150ml gravy, made according to packet instructions
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 45 mins
- Oven temp: 220c
- Price per person: £1.77
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 563
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.5
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. Squeeze the juice of half the lemon into a small pan and gently heat with the margarine/butter, mixed herbs and sugar until the margarine/butter melts and becomes fragrant.
- Cut the remaining lemon half into four wedges and place into a roasting tin with the potato, parsnip, carrot, red onion and garlic cloves. Drizzle the lemon and herb butter over the vegetables and season generously with salt and pepper. Toss together and roast for an initial 20 minutes.
- Once the vegetables have been roasting for 10 minutes, brown the chicken. Season the chicken breasts generously with salt and pepper, heat the oil in a frying pan over a high heat, then fry the chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until browned.
- Lay the chicken breasts on top of the vegetables in the roasting tin and roast for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are crispy.
- When the chicken and vegetables are nearly ready, prepare the gravy according to the packet instructions.
- Serve the roasted lemon chicken and vegetables on plates and pour over the gravy.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)