Spicy Chickpea Dhal
A simple dhal made with chickpeas, potatoes and peas.
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- two-thirds a 400g tin chickpeas, drained
- half a 227g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 medium new potatoes (approx 70g each), peeled and diced
- 45g of frozen peas
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp medium curry powder
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- Serves: 1
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Price per person: £1.32
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 469
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.3
- Print Recipe
- Cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion for 2-3 minutes, or until soft. Add the tinned tomatoes, curry powder and fresh ginger. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the chickpeas and potatoes and continue to cook over a low heat for 10 minutes. Add a little water if the dhal becomes too dry.
- Use a wooden spoon or fork to break down the chickpeas and potatoes then add the peas and heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)