Spicy Chickpea Curry
A simple, delicious chickpea and coconut curry served on a bed of rice.
- 2 medium onions (approx 185g each), finely chopped
- 800g of tinned chickpeas, drained
- 400ml of coconut milk
- 2 medium baking potatoes (approx 320g each), peeled and diced
- 5 large tomatoes (approx 115g each), coarsely chopped
- 280g of value long grain rice
- 4 tsp medium curry powder
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 200ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 1 tsp white caster sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 tsp mild chilli powder
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Price per person: £1.17
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 945
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.3
- Print Recipe
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the chilli powder and curry powder and fry for 1 minute.
- Stir in the potato, chickpeas, tomatoes, stock, coconut milk, sugar and soy sauce. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Add a little water if the sauce becomes dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
- To serve, divide the rice and curry equally between the plates.
This dish is mildly spiced, add more chilli powder and curry powder if you prefer your food spicier.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)