Tomato and red pepper sauce wrapped into lasagne sheets and baked in the oven with a rich cheese sauce.
- 1/2 medium red pepper, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes (approx 100g each), coarsely chopped
- 50g of cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 lasagne sheets
- 20g of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 250ml of milk
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp margarine/butter
- 1 tbsp plain white flour
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Serves: 1
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 40 mins
- Oven temp: 180c
- Price per person: £2.05
- Store cupboard: Typical
- Calories per serving: 932
- 5-a-day per serving: 3.8
- Print Recipe
- Cook the lasagne sheets in boiling water for 10 minutes, or until flexible. You will need to be able to wrap them around the pepper and tomato mixture.
- Meanwhile, to make the tomato sauce, heat the oil in a saucepan and cook the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the peppers, tomatoes, tomato puree, oregano and mixed herbs. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until all the vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, to make the white sauce, melt the margarine/butter in another saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook over a medium heat for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add only as much milk as the mixture can absorb to make a slightly smoother paste. Work the paste to an even consistency before adding a little more milk and repeat. Once the paste has a creamy consistency, gradually stir in the remaining milk and return to the heat. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Stir in 30g of the cheddar cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon one third of the cooked sauce onto each of the lasagne sheets. Roll up the sheets and arrange in an ovenproof dish. Pour the white sauce over the cannelloni and sprinkle on the Parmesan cheese and remaining cheddar. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until heated through and golden on top. Serve immediately.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)