Baked Potato with Spicy Chilli Filling
A crispy skinned baked potato with a spicy vegetarian chilli bean filling.
- half a 220g tin red kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- half a 227g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium baking potato (approx 320g)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp margarine/butter (optional)
- 1 small clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Serves: 1
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 60 mins
- Oven temp: 200c
- Price per person: £1.05
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 436
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.5
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. Wash the potato and pierce the skin a couple of times with with a sharp knife. Rub with oil and season with salt, pepper and a pinch of dried mixed herbs. Place the potato in the oven and bake for 1 hour, or until the skin is crisp and a knife can easily pierce the centre.
- After 40 minutes, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the chilli powder and fry for 1 minute. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, mixed herbs, and kidney beans. Bring to the boil and then simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes, or until the sauce develops a thicker consistency. Add a little water if the chilli becomes dry. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, cut open the baked potato, spread on the optional margarine/butter and spoon the filling into the centre.
If you are using this recipe as part of a meal plan, you can save yourself time by cooking both portions of the chilli one night and reserve half to serve with rice another night.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)