Apple Crumble & Custard
A British classic - home-made apple crumble served with custard.
- 120g of butter, diced
- 2 medium bramley cooking apples (approx 270g each), peeled, quartered, cored and thickly sliced
- 1000g of ready to serve custard
- 3 medium granny smith apples (approx 170g each)
- 130g of white caster sugar
- 160g of plain white flour
- 1 tsp mixed spices
- Serves: 6
- Course: Dessert
- Preparation time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 35 mins
- Oven temp: 200c
- Price per person: £0.75
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 667
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.2
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. To make the crumble topping, sift the flour into a bowl with 100g sugar and the butter. Rub together between your fingers until the mix resembles breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Mix the apples in a bowl with the mixed spices and 30g (2 tbsp) of sugar. Spoon into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle on the crumble topping.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, or until the apples are soft and the topping is golden and crisp. Set aside to rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the custard according to the packet instructions and serve immediately with the apple crumble.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)