Beef Ragu with Penne
A delicious version of Italy's famous beef ragu sauce tossed with penne pasta and topped with Parmesan.
- 1/2 medium onion (approx 185g each), finely chopped
- 250g of minced beef
- 400g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 20g of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 150g of penne pasta quills
- 250ml chicken stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 40 mins
- Price per person: £1.56
- Store cupboard: Typical
- Calories per serving: 715
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.5
- Print Recipe
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the beef mince for 4-5 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until soft.
- Return the mince to the pan and add the tomato puree, oregano, tinned tomatoes and stock. Bring to the boil then simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until the sauce develops a thicker consistency.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions to be ready at the same time as the ragu.
- Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper and toss with the pasta. Serve immediately, topped with the Parmesan.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)