Chicken & Mushroom Casserole
Chicken, bacon, mushroom and potato casserole in a white wine and cream sauce.
- 3 skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
- 300ml of double cream
- 150g of baby button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 medium new potatoes (approx 70g each), peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 medium onion (approx 185g), finely chopped
- half a 250g pack of streaky bacon, chopped
- 350ml of white wine
- 200g of frozen peas
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 60 mins
- Oven temp: 180c
- Price per person: £3.09
- Store cupboard: Cook's
- Calories per serving: 1002
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.1
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove and place in a casserole dish or baking tray.
- Add more oil to the pan, if necessary, and fry the bacon for 5-6 minutes, or until crispy. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Add the mushrooms and potatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes. Pour in the wine and simmer until it is absorbed. Stir in the cream, thyme and bay leaf and bring to the boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the creamy mushroom mixture into the casserole dish and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are tender.
- Cook the peas according to the packet instructions so that they are ready around the same time as the casserole.
- Serve the chicken and mushroom casserole with the peas.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)