Spicy Sausage Meat and Tomato Pasta
Spicy Italian tomato sauce with sausage meat, mushrooms and spinach and tossed with pasta.
- 4 value sausages
- 4 closed cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion (approx 185g), finely chopped
- 100g of spinach leaves
- 400g of value tinned chopped tomatoes
- 180g of value pasta shapes
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
- 2 tsp mixed spices
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
- Price per person: £1.03
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 849
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.8
- Print Recipe
- Snip the ends of the sausage skins and gently squeeze out the meat. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the sausage meat, breaking it up into mince, for 4-5 minutes, or until browned. Remove the browned sausage meat from the pan and set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tbsp oil to the pan and gently fry the onion, garlic and mushrooms for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the mixed spices and chilli powder and fry for 1 minute. Return the cooked sausage meat to the pan and stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato purée and mixed herbs. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the sauce develops a thicker consistency. Add the spinach and stir for 1-2 minutes, or until the spinach leaves begin to wilt. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the cooked pasta with the sauce and serve topped with grated Parmesan cheese.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)