Chicken legs cooked in an Italian-style tomatoes, red pepper and mushroom sauce and served on a bed of rice.
- 2 chicken legs
- 1/2 medium onion (approx 185g each), finely chopped
- 227g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 6 closed cup mushrooms, quartered
- 1 medium red pepper (155g), deseeded and chopped
- 140g of value long grain rice
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 150ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 40 mins
- Price per person: £1.60
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 1045
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.7
- Print Recipe
- Season the chicken legs generously with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a high heat and fry the chicken legs for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pan, if necessary, and fry the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Add the mushrooms and red pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes, then stir in the chopped tomatoes, stock, tomato puree, mixed herbs and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the chicken and simmer covered for 10 minutes then uncovered for another 10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce develops a thicker consistency
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions to be ready at the same time as the chicken.
- Serve the chicken cacciatore immediately on a bed of the cooked rice.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)