A quick Italian-inspired pasta dish with a fresh tomato and red onion sauce.
- 1 small red onion (approx 110g), thinly sliced
- 300g of cherry tomatoes
- 180g of penne pasta quills
- 20g of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- a pinch of brown sugar
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
- Price per person: £1.07
- Store cupboard: Typical
- Calories per serving: 495
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.3
- Print Recipe
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the red onion and garlic over a low heat for 6-8 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the cherry tomatoes, sugar, white wine vinegar and oregano. Turn up the heat and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the tomatoes begin to break down.
- Drain the pasta and toss together with the tomato mixture. Top with the Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)