Asparagus & Pea Risotto
A fresh flavoured risotto with asparagus, peas and goat's cheese.
- 100g of asparagus tips
- 100g of soft goat's cheese
- 1 medium onion (approx 185g), finely chopped
- 150g of frozen peas, thawed
- 300g of Arborio risotto rice
- 1000ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 2 tbsp margarine/butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 35 mins
- Price per person: £1.10
- Store cupboard: Typical
- Calories per serving: 463
- 5-a-day per serving: 0.8
- Print Recipe
- Heat the oil and margarine/butter in a large saucepan and fry the onion and garlic over a low heat for 6-8 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the risotto rice (stirring well to coat the rice in the oil and butter) and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until it becomes slightly translucent.
- Add a ladle of stock and simmer, stirring, until it has been absorbed. Repeat, adding a ladle of stock at a time until the rice is tender but retains a slight bite and the liquid has been absorbed. If you run out of stock just add boiling water, a little at a time, until the rice is cooked. This will take 20-25 minutes.
- 5 minutes before the rice is ready, cook the asparagus in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Drain and cut each spear in half. Chop the lower woody half into thick slices and slice the tips in half lengthways.
- Stir the asparagus and peas into the risotto and continue to cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in the goat's cheese.
- Season the risotto to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)