Spagahetti alla Carbonara
Spaghetti tossed with a classic mushroom and pancetta carbonara sauce.
- 4 closed cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 50g of sliced smoked pancetta, chopped
- 2 free range medium eggs, beaten
- 180g of spaghetti
- 60g of Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
- Price per person: £1.58
- Store cupboard: Typical
- Calories per serving: 789
- 5-a-day per serving: 0.6
- Print Recipe
- Mix the beaten eggs and two-thirds of the Parmesan cheese in a large bowl to make the carbonara sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the pancetta for 3-4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the mushrooms are browned.
- Drain the spaghetti, reserving 2 tbsp of the cooking water. Immediately add the pasta to the carbonara sauce along with the reserved cooking water and the pancetta and mushroom mixture. Toss it all together with two forks. (The egg will be cooked by the heat of the pasta, and the sauce will cling to the strands.)
- Top with the remaining Parmesan cheese, season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Recipes like this one that involve raw or lightly cooked eggs, should always use eggs that are as fresh as possible and have been stored according to the packaging guidelines.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)