This recipe features in these meal plans: Veggie Classics 1.
A mild Creole-inspired rice dish with red peppers and tomato.
- 1 medium red pepper, cut into 2 cm cubes
- 1 medium tomato (approx 100g), coarsely chopped
- 1 small onion (approx 110g), chopped
- 40g of value long grain rice
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Serves: 1
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Price per person: £1.25
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 289
- 5-a-day per serving: 3.8
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the grill to high. Place the red pepper on a baking tray and drizzle with 1/2 tbsp oil. Season with salt and pepper. Grill for 5-10 minutes or until the edges begin to darken and char. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then chop into smaller pieces.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Add the rice, tomato purée and stock. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and cooked. Top up with a little extra stock if required.
- Add the red pepper and stir until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Season immediately.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)