Bean Burgers with a Mango & Ginger Relish
Red kidney bean burgers served with a mango and ginger relish and a green salad with Asian-style dressing.
- 140g of mixed salad leaves
- 1 ripe mango
- 3 small tomatoes (approx 75g each), halved, deseeded and chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 6 closed cup mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 400g of tinned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large red onion (approx 210g), finely chopped
- 4 bread rolls, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp brown demerara sugar
- 1/4 tsp crushed chillies
- 1 tsp medium curry powder
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp plain white flour
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- Price per person: £1.92
- Store cupboard: Typical
- Calories per serving: 416
- 5-a-day per serving: 3.7
- Print Recipe
- Mash the beans with a fork in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan and fry the garlic and two-thirds of the chopped red onion for 4-5 minutes, or until soft. Add the mushrooms and gently fry for 4-5 minutes. Add the coriander and curry powder and fry for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir into the mashed beans. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Divide the bean mixture into 4 equal portions, shape each into patties 2cm thick and dust lightly with the flour.
- Peel the skin off the mango and carefully cut the flesh away from the large stone in centre. Thinly slice the flesh and set aside.
- To make the relish, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan and gently fry the ginger, crushed chillies and remaining red onion for 4-5 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Add the mango, tomatoes, sugar and 4 tbsp water to the onion mixture, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the mango and tomatoes begin to break down and the relish takes on a slightly smoother, chutney-like consistency. Remove from the heat, stir in half of the lime juice and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and fry the patties for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until crispy.
- To make the dressing, mix 2 tbsp olive oil with the soy sauce and remaining lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Place the cooked burgers on the base of each roll, add a few salad leaves and some of the relish, and top with the remaining halves of the rolls. Toss the remaining salad leaves with the dressing and serve immediately with the burgers and remaining relish.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)