Bangers & Mash
Sausages and creamy mashed potato served with a delicious red onion gravy, peas and carrots.
- 8 value sausages
- 4 medium baking potatoes (approx 320g each), peeled and diced
- 1 medium red onion (approx 185g), finely sliced
- 2 medium carrots (approx 125g each), peeled and cut into 4-5 cm batons
- 200g of frozen peas
- 60ml of milk
- 1 tbsp margarine/butter
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 200ml gravy, made up from gravy granules
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Price per person: £0.90
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 766
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.6
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the grill. Separate and pierce the sausages and grill, turning occasionally, for 10-12 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- While the potatoes and sausages are cooking, make the gravy. Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion for 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Pour in the gravy and simmer until it thickens. Remember to keep an eye on the sausages under the grill.
- Next, cook the peas and carrots in lightly salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes to be ready at the same time as the sausages.
- Drain the potato and mash with the butter/margarine, mustard and milk until creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mash onto a plate, add the sausages, peas and carrots and pour on the red onion gravy.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)