Vegetable Skewers with Feta & Red Onion Salad
Portobello mushroom, cherry tomato and red onion skewers grilled in a sweet chilli sauce and served with garlic yogurt dip and a feta and red onion salad.
- 2 portobello mushrooms, cut into chunks
- 150g of cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 small red onion (approx 110g each) (1/4 cut into chunks, 1/4 sliced)
- half a 110g bag of watercress, spinach and rocket
- 150g of natural yogurt
- 100g of feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 small clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 tsp white caster sugar
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- wooden or metal skewers
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- Serves: 2
- Course: Lunch
- Preparation time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
- Price per person: £1.78
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 289
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.3
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the grill to high. To make the dip, simply mix the garlic and yogurt in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- To make the salad dressing, mix together the oil and vinegar, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- To make the sweet chilli marinade, mix the lemon juice, tomato puree, chilli powder and sugar.
- Preheat the grill to high. Thread the cherry tomatoes, mushroom and red onion chunks onto the skewers, alternating the ingredients. Place in a deep baking tray, season with salt and pepper and rub in the sweet chilli paste.
- Grill the skewers for 15 minutes, turning frequently, or until the vegetables are tender and lightly charred.
- Toss the salad leaves with the feta, sliced red onion and dressing and serve with the skewers and garlic yogurt dip.
If using wooden skewers, soak them in cold water before use to stop them from burning. Remember to always keep an eye on them while grilling. If you do not have skewers, these kebabs can be made loose in a deep baking tray.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)