Spicy Meatballs & Pea Pilaf
Spicy beef meatballs on a tasty pea pilaf, served with a refreshing cucumber yogurt sauce.
- 1 large lemon, zested and juiced
- 300g of value low fat natural yogurt
- 400-500g pack of value minced beef
- 1 half cucumber portion
- 300g of frozen peas
- 240g of value long grain rice
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 900ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Price per person: £0.83
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 739
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.9
- Print Recipe
- Mix the mince with the chilli powder and half the garlic. Season well with salt and pepper. Shape into 16 balls.
- To make the sauce, mix together the cucumber and yogurt and season generously with salt and pepper.
- To cook the pilaf, heat 2 tbsp oil in a large saucepan and fry the remaining garlic and rice together for 30 seconds. Add the stock and simmer for 15 minutes, or until almost all of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp oil in a large frying pan and cook the meatballs in two batches over a medium heat for 8 minutes, or until browned and cooked through. Add more oil if necessary. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
- Add the peas to the pilaf and cook until heated through, then stir in the lemon zest and juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the meatball on a bed of pilaf and pour over the cucumber sauce.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)