Home-made Beans on Toast
This recipe works in combination with: Mushroom Stroganoff.
A delicious home-made version of beans on toast; haricot beans in a rich tomato sauce served on toasted ciabatta.
- 1 medium onion (approx 185g), finely chopped
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- 820g of tinned haricot beans, drained and rinsed
- 700g of smooth passata sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 11/2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 11/2 tbsp margarine/butter
- Serves: 4
- Course: Lunch
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 25 mins
- Price per person: £0.92
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 342
- 5-a-day per serving: 3
- Print Recipe
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and gently fry the onion and garlic for 10 minutes, or until soft. Add the passata, haricot beans and tomato puree, cover and then simmer for 15 minutes, or until the sauce has developed a thicker consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Shortly before the end of the cooking time, slice the ciabatta rolls in half and toast.
- To serve, spread the margarine/butter onto the toasted ciabatta and top with the beans.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)