Aubergine & Red Pepper Bake
A deliciously cheesy aubergine and pepper bake with a rich tomato sauce.
- 30g of cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 small aubergine, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1/2 medium red pepper (155g), cut into strips
- 227g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 medium new potato (approx 70g), thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan
- Serves: 1
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 50 mins
- Oven temp: 200c
- Price per person: £1.82
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 335
- 5-a-day per serving: 3.9
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the grill and oven. Brush the aubergine and pepper with 1 tbsp oil. Place on a baking tray and grill, turning frequently for 5-10 minutes, or until the aubergine is tender and the pepper is slightly charred.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a saucepan and gently fry the garlic for 1-2 minutes over a low heat. Add the chopped tomatoes, 2 tbsp water and the mixed herbs. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sauce develops a thicker consistency.
- Parboil the potato in lightly salted boiling water for 5-6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Spoon one third of the grilled aubergine and pepper into an ovenproof dish, followed by one third of the tomato sauce and one third of the cheddar cheese. Repeat until all the ingredients are used up. Season with salt and pepper and arrange the cooked potato over the top. Sprinkle on the parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden. Serve immediately.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)