Genovese-style minestrone with onion, carrot, courgette, macaroni and borlotti beans. Topped with fresh basil pesto.
- 1/2 medium onion (approx 185g each), finely chopped
- 410g of borlotti beans, drained
- 2 medium tomatoes (approx 100g each), coarsely chopped
- 1 small courgette (approx 165g), sliced
- 1 medium carrot (approx 125g), sliced
- 28g of fresh basil
- 10g of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp pine nuts
- 80g of macaroni
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 250ml beef stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 45 mins
- Price per person: £1.91
- Store cupboard: Cook's
- Calories per serving: 901
- 5-a-day per serving: 3.3
- Print Recipe
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan and cook the onion and half the garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Add the carrot, tomatoes, courgette, pasta, beef stock and 250ml water. Simmer for 30 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked. Add a little water if the minestrone becomes dry.
- Whilst the minestrone is cooking, prepare the pesto. Heat a small frying pan and toast the pine nuts for 1 minute, or until lightly browned. Transfer the toasted pine nuts to a food processor or pestle and mortar and add the basil and remaining garlic. Blend the mixture until it becomes a thick paste. Gradually add in 3 tbsp olive oil and the Parmesan and blend until it has a sauce-like consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the borlotti beans into the minestrone and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Stir the pesto into the minestrone, season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)