Chicken & Chestnut Mushroom Pie
This recipe features in these meal plans: Autumn Specials.
Chicken and chestnut mushrooms in a béchamel sauce with a crisp pastry lid and served with broccoli.
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 small head of broccoli (approx 200g), cut into florets
- 250g of chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 1 small leek (approx 210g), sliced
- 1 free range medium egg, beaten
- 130g of plain white flour
- 90g of butter, at room temperature
- 100ml of milk
- 50ml of white wine
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 100ml chicken stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 20 mins
- Cooking time: 50 mins
- Oven temp: 200c
- Price per person: £3.58
- Store cupboard: Cook's
- Calories per serving: 1120
- 5-a-day per serving: 3.2
- Print Recipe
- To make the pastry, sift 100g plain flour into a bowl and add a generous pinch of salt. Add 60g butter and rub it in with your fingers until the mixture is even in colour and resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle on 2 tbsp water and mix together with a knife. Continue to mix, adding water a little at a time, until the dough begins to hold together (if you add too much water add a little extra flour until you get the right consistency). Bring the dough together with your hands and shape into a ball. Wrap in cling film and put in the fridge until you are ready to roll it.
- Preheat the oven. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the chicken for 6-8 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pan, if necessary, and fry the garlic and mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Meanwhile, to make the white sauce, melt 30g butter (2 tbsp) in a saucepan. Stir in 30g flour(2 tbsp) and cook over a medium heat for 1 minute. Turn down the heat and add only as much milk as the mixture can absorb to make a slightly smoother paste. Work the paste to an even consistency before adding a little more milk. Repeat until the paste has a creamy consistency. Gradually stir in the remaining milk and then stir in the white wine and stock. Turn up the heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens.
- Season the sauce to taste and stir in the cooked chicken, mushrooms and garlic and the leek, parsley and thyme. Transfer to a greased pie dish and set aside.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the pastry until it is about 3mm thick and large enough to cover your pie dish. Brush the edge of the pie dish with a little of the beaten egg and lay the pastry over the top. Trim off the excess pastry with a knife and carefully crimp around the edge with a fork. Brush the remaining egg over the pastry and pierce a hole in the middle with the tip of a knife.
- Bake the pie in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the pastry is crisp and golden.
- Once the pie is almost cooked bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil and cook the broccoli for 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
- Serve the chicken pie with the broccoli.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)