Bacon & Pearl Barley Stew
A hearty stew combining mushrooms, carrot, parsnips, leek and bacon with pearl barley.
- 1 large onion (approx 210g), coarsely chopped
- 1 large leek (approx 310g), sliced
- 2 medium parsnips (approx 285g each), peeled and diced
- 250g of smoked back bacon, chopped
- 250g of chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 4 medium new potatoes (approx 70g each), diced
- 6 closed cup mushrooms, quartered
- 50g of pearl barley
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 400ml chicken stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 80 mins
- Price per person: £1.87
- Store cupboard: Cook's
- Calories per serving: 460
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.3
- Print Recipe
- Heat tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan and fry the bacon for 5 minutes, or until crispy. Remove from the saucepan and set aside.
- Add extra oil to the pan, if necessary, and fry the onion, leek and garlic for 6-8 minutes, or until soft. Stir in the mushrooms and fry for 5 minutes.
- Return the bacon to the pan, and add the pearl barley, parsnips, new potato, bay leaf, thyme, chicken stock and 800ml water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer, covered for 60 minutes, or until the barley is cooked through and the vegetables are soft.
- Remove the bay leaf from the stew, season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately in warmed bowls.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)