Omelette & Spicy Tomato Sauce
This recipe features in these meal plans: Fast & Delicious.
Ribbons of omelette tossed in a spicy tomato and mushroom sauce.
- 5 closed cup mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 medium onion (approx 185g), finely sliced
- 400g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 4 medium eggs, beaten
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 25 mins
- Price per person: £1.13
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 277
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.3
- Print Recipe
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Add the chilli powder and fry for 1 minute.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and mixed herbs. Gently cook for 15 minutes, or until the sauce develops a thicker consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, to make the omelette, heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and pour in enough of the beaten eggs to cover the base of the pan. As the egg starts to cook, draw the edges into the centre with a fork or spatula and tip any uncooked egg around the edge of the pan. Cook until the omelette is just set and the bottom is golden. Repeat using the remaining egg mixture.
- Slice the omelettes into 1cm wide ribbons. Add the omelette slices to the tomato sauce and heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)