Risi e Bisi
A classic Italian 'rice and peas' risotto with pancetta.
- 1 medium onion (approx 185g), finely chopped
- 200g of cubed pancetta
- 200g of frozen peas, thawed
- 125ml of white wine
- 300g of Arborio risotto rice
- 60g of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1000ml chicken stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 35 mins
- Price per person: £1.60
- Store cupboard: Cook's
- Calories per serving: 889
- 5-a-day per serving: 0.6
- Print Recipe
- Heat the oil and 2 tbsp butter in a large saucepan and cook the onion and pancetta for 5-6 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the risotto rice (stirring well to coat the rice in the oil and butter) and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until it becomes slightly translucent.
- Pour in the wine and simmer until it has been absorbed. Add a ladle of stock and simmer, stirring, until it has been absorbed. Repeat, adding a ladle of stock at a time until the rice is tender but retains a slight bite and the liquid has been absorbed. If you run out of stock just add boiling water, a little at a time, until the rice is cooked. This will take 20-25 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low, add the peas and stir until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley, Parmesan cheese and 4 tbsp butter.
- Taste the risotto and season with salt and pepper as necessary. Serve immediately.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)