Tender broccoli baked in a mild cheese sauce with a crunchy topping.
- 50g of cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 small head of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 60g of croutons
- 150ml of milk
- 1/2 tsp English mustard
- 1 tbsp plain white flour
- 1 tsp margarine/butter
- Serves: 1
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Oven temp: 180c
- Price per person: £1.62
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 733
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.5
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. Cook the broccoli in lightly salted boiling water for 5 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the topping carefully crush half of the croutons. Mix with the remaining whole croutons and one third of the grated cheese and set aside.
- To make the cheese sauce, melt the margarine/butter in a large saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook over a medium heat for 1 minute. Turn down the heat and add only as much milk as the mixture can absorb to make a slightly smoother paste. Work the paste to a smooth and glossy consistency before adding a little more milk. Repeat until the paste has a creamy consistency. Gradually stir in the remaining milk. Turn up the heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce develops a thicker consistency.
- Stir in the mustard and the remaining two thirds of the cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the broccoli into an ovenproof dish and pour over the sauce. Add the crunchy topping and bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)