Chicken & Courgette Risotto
This recipe features in these meal plans: Bistro Treats.
Creamy courgette risotto topped with slices of tender roast chicken breast.
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 1 small courgette (approx 165g), diced
- 1 small onion (approx 110g), finely chopped
- 150g of Arborio risotto rice
- 40g of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp margarine/butter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 600ml chicken stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 35 mins
- Oven temp: 180c
- Price per person: £2.60
- Store cupboard: Typical
- Calories per serving: 700
- 5-a-day per serving: 0.5
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan and cook the courgette for for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp margarine/butter to the saucepan and fry the onion and garlic over a low heat for 5-6 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- While the onion and garlic are cooking, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over a high heat, season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned. Transfer to a baking tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked.
- Once the onion is soft add the risotto rice to the pan (stirring well to coat the rice in the oil and margarine/butter) and cook for 1-2 minutes, or until it becomes slightly translucent.
- Add 50ml of stock and simmer, stirring, until it has been absorbed. Repeat, adding 50ml of stock at a time until the rice is tender but retains a slight bite and the liquid has been absorbed. If you run out of stock just add boiling water, a little at a time, until the rice is cooked. This will take 20-25 minutes. Remember to keep an eye on the chicken. Once cooked, remove from the oven, cover and set aside while you finish the risotto.
- Turn the heat down to low, add the courgette to the risotto and stir until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese and 1 tbsp margarine/butter. Taste the risotto and adjust the seasoning.
- Slice the roasted chicken breasts into three or four thick pieces and serve on top of the risotto.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)