Beef & Ale Stew
A classic beef stew with carrots, potato and ale, all cooked in a slow cooker. The perfect winter warmer.
- 500g of beef stewing steak, fat trimmed and meat cut into 2cm pieces
- 330ml of ale or stout
- 2 large carrots (approx 185g each), peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 large onion (approx 210g), finely chopped
- 2 large baking potatoes (approx 470g each), peeled and diced
- 250g of chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 150ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 255 mins
- Price per person: £2.09
- Store cupboard: Cook's
- Calories per serving: 517
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.3
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the slow cooker, if necessary. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the beef for 4-5 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add more oil to the pan, if necessary, and fry the onion for 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Add the potato and carrot and fry for 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the browned beef, ale, beef stock, chestnut mushrooms, tomato purée, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves to the slow cooker and cook on high for 6-8 hours. Check that the beef is tender and season to taste with salt and pepper before serving.
Slow cooking times vary according to the appliance you use. Our cooking time is based on this 170w Morphy Richards slow cooker.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)