Chunky Vegetable Chowder
A filling vegetable chowder which, despite its simple ingredients, is satisfyingly tasty.
- 1 medium baking potato (approx 320g), peeled and diced
- 1 medium carrot (approx 125g), peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion (approx 110g), peeled and chopped
- 100ml of milk
- 200ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- Serves: 1
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Price per person: £0.83
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 487
- 5-a-day per serving: 2
- Print Recipe
- Put the chopped vegetables into a saucepan and add the stock. Top up with boiling water so the vegetables are covered. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and most of the liquid has been reduced.
- Lightly crush the vegetables with a wooden spoon against the side of the pan (this will thicken the chowder). Add the milk, season to taste with salt and pepper and return to the heat until piping hot. Serve immediately.
The key to this dish's great flavour is seasoning, so make sure you taste it before you serve it and add enough salt and pepper to contrast the sweetness of the carrot.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)