Sweet Teriyaki Salmon with Rice
Salmon marinated in a home-made Japanese-style teriyaki sauce and served with boiled rice and broccoli.
- 1/2 medium lemon, cut into wedges
- 1/2 medium head of broccoli (approx 300g each), cut into florets
- 1 salmon fillet
- 60g of basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
- 100ml of light soy sauce
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Serves: 1
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 15 mins
- Price per person: £3.53
- Store cupboard: Cook's
- Calories per serving: 697
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.9
- Print Recipe
- To make the Teryaki sauce, mix together the soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, ginger and garlic in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer the sauce for 2-3 minutes, or until it has developed a thicker consistency. Remove the garlic and ginger by pouring the sauce through a sieve or strainer.
- When the sauce is cool, coat the salmon thoroughly and set aside to marinate for an hour, or as long as possible.
- Preheat the grill. Cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
- Meanwhile, season the salmon with salt and pepper and grill for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Cook the broccoli in lightly salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
- Sprinkle the salmon with the sesame seeds and serve immediately over the cooked rice with the lemon wedges and broccoli on the side.
Teryaki sauce is a classic Japanese marinade referring to the shine or 'Teri' from the sugar content and for the grilled or 'Yaki' cooking method.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)