Couscous Stuffed Aubergines
This recipe features in these meal plans: Veggie Frugal Favourites.
Tomato couscous stuffed aubergines with a Parmesan breadcrumb crust accompanied by a tomato sauce and green salad.
- 1 medium onion (approx 185g), finely chopped
- 1 of round lettuce, leaves torn
- 2 medium aubergines, cut in half lengthways
- 400g of value tinned chopped tomatoes
- 30g of breadcrumbs
- 100g of couscous
- 200ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 45 mins
- Oven temp: 200c
- Price per person: £0.93
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 265
- 5-a-day per serving: 3.3
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. Place the aubergine halves (skin side down) on a baking tray and score the flesh with a sharp knife. Rub the lemon juice into the flesh and season generously with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the flesh is soft.
- Meanwhile, to make the tomato sauce, heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes, or until soft. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato puree and mixed herbs. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the sauce develops a thicker, smoother consistency.
- While the sauce simmers, prepare the couscous according to the packet instructions using the vegetable stock instead of water and set aside.
- Once the aubergines are cooked, scoop out the flesh, being careful not to break the skins. Set the skins aside and finely chop the flesh. Mix the flesh with the couscous and half the tomato sauce. Taste the stuffing and season with salt and pepper. Set the remaining sauce aside. Spoon the couscous filling into the aubergine skins. Mix together the Parmesan and breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the aubergines. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until piping hot and golden.
- Meanwhile, to make the salad dressing mix together the vinegar and 3 tbsp vegetable oil in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Re-heat the tomato sauce, adding a little water if the sauce is dry. Divide the aubergine halves between four plates and pour on the tomato sauce. Toss the salad dressing with the lettuce and serve immediately on the side.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)