Beef & Aubergine Pasta
A hearty and filling pasta dish with a beef, tomato and aubergine sauce.
- 1/2 large onion (approx 210g each), finely chopped
- 200g of value tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 a 400-500g pack of value minced beef
- 1 medium aubergine, cut into 1cm pieces
- 160g of value pasta shapes
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 150ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- Price per person: £1.02
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 771
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.6
- Print Recipe
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan and fry the aubergine for 3-4 minutes, or until it begins to brown. Add the onion and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is soft, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to the pan (if necessary) and fry the minced beef for 5-6 minutes, or until browned.
- Return the fried aubergine, onion and garlic to the saucepan and stir in the chopped tomatoes, mixed herbs, tomato purée and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the sauce develops a thicker consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Toss the pasta with the cooked sauce, top with the Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)