Sausage & Bean Cassoulet
A French stew with pork sausages, haricot beans, borlotti beans, carrots and tomatoes.
- 6 premium pork and leek sausages
- 1 large carrot (approx 185g), finely diced
- 410g of tinned haricot beans, drained
- 410g of borlotti beans, drained
- 227g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion (approx 210g), coarsely chopped
- 100ml of white wine
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 400ml chicken stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- Price per person: £1.52
- Store cupboard: Cook's
- Calories per serving: 473
- 5-a-day per serving: 3.1
- Print Recipe
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the sausages for 8-10 minutes, or until browned and cooked. Remove the sausages and set aside, covered.
- Add more oil to the pan, if necessary, and fry the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the carrot and thyme and fry for 2 minutes. Turn up the heat, pour in the wine and simmer rapidly for 1-2 minutes, or until almost fully reduced.
- Add the bay leaf, chopped tomatoes, beans, chicken stock and 300ml water to the pan and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the carrot is tender.
- Cut each of the cooked sausages into 4 pieces and stir into the cassoulet. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the sausages are piping hot. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)