Chicken alla Milanese
This recipe features in these meal plans: East & West.
Chicken in a Parmesan and breadcrumb crust served with boiled new potatoes, broccoli and a rich tomato sauce.
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets
- 1 small onion (approx 110g), finely chopped
- 1 small head of broccoli (approx 200g), cut into florets
- 3 medium new potatoes (approx 70g each), quartered
- 227g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 30g of breadcrumbs
- 1 free range medium egg, beaten
- 50g of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 100ml of white wine
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp plain white flour
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp butter
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 35 mins
- Price per person: £3.71
- Store cupboard: Cook's
- Calories per serving: 724
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.3
- Print Recipe
- Place the chicken breasts between two sheets of cling film and beat firmly with a rolling pin to flatten out to an even thickness of 1/2 cm. Remove the cling film.
- To make the tomato sauce, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a saucepan and gently fry the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 6-8 minutes, or until soft. Add the wine and simmer until reduced. Stir in the tinned tomatoes and oregano, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, or until the sauce develops a thicker, smoother consistency.
- Meanwhile, mix together the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese in a large dish. Season the flour with salt and pepper and use to coat the chicken. Shake off any excess flour and dip the chicken in the beaten egg to coat thoroughly, then into the breadcrumb and Parmesan mixture until covered. Pat each side of the chicken to ensure the crust is even and clings properly.
- About 10 minutes before the sauce is ready, cook the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through and golden.
- Cook the broccoli in lightly salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
- Drain the potatoes, toss with the butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the chicken with the new potatoes, broccoli and tomato sauce.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)