Tuna Fish Cakes
This recipe features in these meal plans: Frugal Favourites 2.
Tuna and potato fish cakes served with broccoli, grilled tomatoes and a lemon-mayo dip.
- 185g of value tinned tuna chunks
- 1 medium baking potato (approx 320g), peeled and diced
- 2 large tomatoes (approx 115g each), halved
- 1 small head of broccoli (approx 200g), cut into florets
- 100g of breadcrumbs
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp plain white flour
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- Price per person: £1.34
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 789
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.7
- Print Recipe
- Cook the potato in lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Meanwhile to make the lemon-mayo dip, mix together the lemon juice and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Drain the potato and mash until smooth. Flake the drained tuna into the mash, season well with salt and pepper and mix well. Shape into six 1cm thick patties and dust with the flour. Dip the fish cakes into the beaten egg and then into the breadcrumbs, coating thoroughly with both.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the fish cakes in batches for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high. Drizzle the tomato halves with 1 tbsp oil, season with salt and pepper and grill cut-face down for 2-3 minutes, then turn over and grill for 1-2 minutes, or until the tomato begins to char.
- Cook the broccoli in lightly salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes, or until tender.
- Serve the tuna fish cakes with the broccoli, grilled tomatoes and lemon-mayo dip.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)