Insalata Caprese - Tomato & Mozzarella Salad
Italian salad with tomato, mozzarella and basil.
- one-half of a 28g pack of fresh basil, torn
- 2 medium tomatoes (approx 100g each), sliced
- two-thirds of a mozzarella ball, sliced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- Serves: 1
- Course: Lunch
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Price per person: £1.12
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 192
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.5
- Print Recipe
- Lay the tomato slices flat on a plate and evenly sprinkle over the sugar and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and set aside for 5 minutes to allow the flavours to develop. Layer the tomato, mozzarella and basil leaves on a plate, alternating the ingredients and seasoning as you go. Finally, drizzle on the oil and serve.
For best results, try and use the ripest tomatoes you can buy.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)