Asparagus & Poached Egg
Poached eggs on a bed of seasonal steamed asparagus topped with a lemon and parsley butter.
- quarter of a 28g pack of fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 500g of asparagus, woody-ends peeled
- 100g of butter
- 6 free range medium eggs
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Serves: 6
- Course: Starter
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 25 mins
- Price per person: £1.17
- Store cupboard: Typical
- Calories per serving: 277
- 5-a-day per serving: 1
- Print Recipe
- Bring a deep saucepan of water to the boil. Add 1 tbsp white wine vinegar and gently swirl the water around the pan to make a whirlpool. Crack an egg into a cup and then carefully pour the egg into the middle of the whirlpool and simmer for 4 minutes, or until cooked to your liking. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and repeat with the remaining 5 eggs. You can use two saucepans to speed up the cooking process.
- Meanwhile, place the asparagus in a colander and steam, covered, over a saucepan of boiling water for 5-6 minutes, or until tender.
- Shortly before the asparagus is ready, melt the butter in a saucepan, remove from the heat and stir in the parsley and lemon juice.
- To serve, divide the asparagus between plates, top with the poached eggs and drizzle with the parsley butter. Finish with a pinch of freshly ground black pepper and enjoy.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)