Chilli Con Carne
Classic chilli con carne with minced beef, kidney beans and tomatoes, served over rice and topped with soured cream.
- 400-500g pack of value minced beef
- 400g of value tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 large onion (approx 210g), finely chopped
- 410g of value tinned red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 150ml of soured cream
- 320g of value long grain rice
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 11/2 tbsp mild chilli powder
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 60 mins
- Price per person: £0.71
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 894
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.6
- Print Recipe
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a frying pan and fry the beef mince for 4-5 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat 1 tbsp oil and cook the onion and garlic over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or until soft. Add the chilli powder and fry for 1 minute.
- Return the browned mince to the pan and stir in the tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, kidney beans and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, then remove the cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add a little water if the sauce becomes dry.
- Towards the end of chilli con carne cooking time, cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
- Season the chilli con carne to taste. Divide the chilli and rice between plates and top with the soured cream.
This chilli is mildly spiced, add more chilli powder to taste if you prefer spicy food.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)