Bacon, Poached Egg & Rocket Salad
A simple salad of bacon, red onion and rocket leaves tossed with a simple dressing and topped with a poached egg.
- 40g of wild rocket leaves
- 1/2 small red onion (approx 110g each), finely chopped
- 2 rashers of bacon, diced
- 1 small tomato (approx 75g), chopped
- 1 medium egg
- 11/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 x small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp vinegar
- Serves: 1
- Course: Lunch
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 10 mins
- Price per person: £1.15
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 219
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.4
- Print Recipe
- To make the dressing, mix 1 tbsp oil with 1 tsp vinegar, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat 1/2 tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the bacon for 3-4 minutes, or until crisp. Remove and set aside. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Meanwhile, for the poached egg, bring a pan of water to the boil. Add 1 tsp vinegar and gently swirl the water around the pan to make a whirlpool. Crack the egg into the middle of the whirlpool and simmer for 4 minutes. Carefully remove the egg with a slotted spoon.
- To serve, toss the rocket leaves with the bacon, onion, tomato and dressing and top with the poached egg.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)