Chicken, Tarragon & Leek Pie
Succulent chicken pieces in a leek and tarragon sauce topped with a crisp pastry lid and served with broccoli and buttered new potatoes.
- 2 skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into 2 cm pieces
- 1 medium head of broccoli (approx 300g), cut into florets
- 1 medium onion (approx 185g), finely chopped
- 2 medium leeks (approx 260g each), chopped
- 6 medium new potatoes (approx 70g each), quartered
- 190g of plain white flour
- 155g of butter, at room temperature
- 1 free range medium egg, beaten
- 300ml of milk
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp dried tarragon
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 200ml chicken stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 140ml white wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp English mustard
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 55 mins
- Oven temp: 200c
- Price per person: £2.30
- Store cupboard: Cook's
- Calories per serving: 917
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.4
- Print Recipe
- To make the pastry, sift 130g plain flour into a bowl and add a generous pinch of salt. Add 80g butter and rub it in with your fingers until the mixture is even in colour and resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle on 1 tbsp water and mix together with a knife. Continue to mix, adding water 1 tsp at a time, until the dough begins to hold together (if you add too much water add a little extra flour until you get the right consistency). Bring the dough together with your hands and shape into a ball. Wrap in cling film and put in the fridge until you are ready to roll it.
- Preheat the oven. Heat the olive oil and 2 tbsp butter in a large frying pan and fry the chicken for 5-6 minutes, or until cooked through. Spoon the chicken out of the pan and set aside.
- Add the onion, leeks and garlic to the pan and gently fry for 6-8 minutes, or until the onion and leek is soft. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- To make the white sauce, melt 2 tbsp butter in a large saucepan. Stir in 2 tbsp flour and cook over a medium heat for 1 minute. Turn down the heat and add only as much milk as the mixture can absorb to make a slightly smoother paste. Work the paste to a smooth and glossy consistency before adding a little more milk. Repeat until the paste has a creamy consistency. Gradually stir in the remaining milk and then stir in the stock. Turn up the heat and simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce develops a thicker consistency. Stir the tarragon, 2tbsp parsley and the mustard into the sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked chicken, leek, onion and garlic to the sauce and spoon into a suitably sized pie dish and set aside.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp flour onto a clean, flat work surface and roll out the pastry until it is about 2mm thick and large enough to cover your pie dish. Brush the edge of the pie dish with a little of the beaten egg and lay the pastry over the top. Trim off the excess pastry with a knife and carefully crimp around the edge with a fork. Brush the remaining egg over the pastry and pierce a hole in the middle with the tip of a knife.
- Bake the pie in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the pastry is crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, cook the new potatoes and broccoli in pans of lightly salted boiling water so they are ready at the same time as the pie. Drain the potatoes and toss with 15g butter (1 tbsp) and 1 tbsp parsley. Season the potatoes and broccoli to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the chicken pie immediately with the broccoli and buttered new potatoes.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)