Spicy Bean Chilli
A tasty vegetarian chilli made with red kidney beans and served on a bed of rice.
- half a 220g tin red kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- half a 227g tin chopped tomatoes
- 60g of value long grain rice
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp tomato puree
- 1 small clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Serves: 1
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 25 mins
- Price per person: £0.65
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 402
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.5
- Print Recipe
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the chilli powder and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, mixed herbs, and kidney beans. Bring to the boil and then simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes, or until the sauce develops a thicker consistency. Add a little water if the chilli becomes dry. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
- To serve, simply spoon the chilli over the cooked rice.
If you are using this recipe as part of a meal plan, save yourself time by cooking both portions of the chilli one night and setting aside half for the baked potato.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)