Gruyere & Onion Tart
A simple home-made gruyere cheese and onion tart using ready-made shortcrust pastry. Served with a mixed leaf salad.
- 190g of Gruyère cheese, grated
- 200ml of double cream
- 2 large onions (approx 210g each), sliced
- 500g of ready to roll shortcrust pastry
- 140g of mixed salad leaves
- 3 medium eggs
- 75ml of vegetable oil (5 tbsp)
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 30g margarine/butter (2 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- Serves: 8
- Course: Starter
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 45 mins
- Oven temp: 200c
- Price per person: £0.85
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 826
- 5-a-day per serving: 0.6
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. Heat the margarine/butter and 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a frying pan and cook the onions over a medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until caramelised.
- Meanwhile, on a floured work surface, roll out the pastry until it is 3mm thick and use to line a 28cm (11 inch) tart tin. Rest in the fridge for 5 minutes, then trim the excess pastry around the edge.
- To make the filling, beat together the eggs and cream and mix in the cheese, mixed herbs and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Once the onions are caramelised, spoon them evenly over the pastry base and pour on the egg and cream mixture. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until golden and set. Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- To make the salad dressing, mix 3 tbsp oil with the vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the salad leaves with the dressing and serve alongside the tart.
You will need a 28 cm (11 inch) tart tin for this recipe
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)