A distinctive and fresh-flavoured curry with chicken, potato and aromatic spices.
- 3 medium tomatoes (approx 100g each), chopped
- 4 medium new potatoes (approx 70g each), cut into 2cm pieces
- 2 medium onions (approx 185g each), chopped
- 200g of value low fat natural yogurt
- 500g of boneless and skinless chicken thigh fillets, cut into 2cm pieces
- 240g of value long grain rice
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp mixed spices
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 tsp medium curry powder
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 25 mins
- Price per person: £1.61
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 613
- 5-a-day per serving: 0.9
- Print Recipe
- Heat the 1 tbsp oil in a large saucepan and fry the chicken for 4-5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside. Add 1 tbsp olive oil to the pan (if necessary) and fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the mixed spices, chilli powder, curry powder and sugar and fry for 1 minute, to intensify the spices.
- Return the chicken to the pan and add the potato, then pour in just enough boiling water to cover. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the potato is tender and the sauce has reduced a little.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions.
- To finish the curry, stir in the chopped tomato and yogurt and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, simply spoon the aromatic curry over the cooked rice.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)