Asparagus, Lemon & Mint Risotto
A light and fresh risotto with asparagus, lemon and mint.
- 100g of asparagus tips
- 1 medium onion (approx 185g), finely chopped
- 1 medium lemon, halved
- 300g of Arborio risotto rice
- 60g of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 250ml of white wine
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 40g butter
- 1.2 litres vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 1 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 35 mins
- Price per person: £1.45
- Store cupboard: Cook's
- Calories per serving: 481
- 5-a-day per serving: 0.3
- Print Recipe
- Heat the oil and 30g butter in a frying pan and fry the onion over a low heat for 6-8 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Add the risotto rice and cook, stirring well to coat the rice in the oil and butter for 1-2 minutes, or until it becomes slightly translucent.
- Pour in the wine and simmer until it has been fully absorbed. Add 50 ml stock and simmer, stirring, until it has been absorbed. Repeat, adding a little stock at a time until the rice is tender but retains a slight bite and the liquid has been absorbed. If you run out of stock add a little boiling water until the rice is cooked. This will take 20-25 minutes.
- 5 minutes before the rice is ready, cook the asparagus in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Drain and cut each spear in half. Chop the lower woody half into thick slices and leave the tips whole.
- Stir the asparagus, mint and juice from half the lemon into the risotto. Cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese and 10g of butter. Taste the risotto and adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Serve the risotto immediately garnished with the remaining lemon cut into wedges.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)