Spiced Mince & Peas
Beef mince cooked with spices, tomatoes and peas and served with rice.
- 1/2 medium onion (approx 185g each), finely chopped
- 200g of value tinned chopped tomatoes
- half a 400-500g pack of value minced beef
- 80g of frozen peas
- 120g of value long grain rice
- 2 tsp medium curry powder
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 100ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Serves: 2
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 40 mins
- Price per person: £0.62
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 677
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.3
- Print Recipe
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the beef mince for 5-6 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add a little more oil to the pan, if necessary, and fry the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Add the curry powder and chilli powder and fry for 1 minute.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes, mince and stock. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until it develops a thicker consistency.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the packet instructions to be ready at the same time as the curried mince.
- Stir the peas into the curried mince and heat through, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve the curried mince with the boiled rice.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)