Bacon & Sweetcorn Chowder
A tasty chowder of potato, bacon, sweetcorn and spring onions.
- 50g of value smoked back bacon, chopped
- 198g of tinned sweetcorn, drained
- 1 medium baking potato (approx 320g), peeled and cut into 1 cm cubes
- one-third of a bunch of spring onions, sliced
- 200ml of milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 400ml vegetable stock, prepared according to the packet instructions
- Serves: 2
- Course: Lunch
- Preparation time: 5 mins
- Cooking time: 20 mins
- Price per person: £0.95
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 313
- 5-a-day per serving: 1.4
- Print Recipe
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the spring onions for 1-2 minutes, or until soft. Add the bacon and fry for 3 minutes, or until cooked.
- Add the potato and stock and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the potato is tender. Lightly crush some of the potato against the side of the pan with a wooden spoon (this will help thicken the chowder). Add the sweetcorn and milk and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes, or until piping hot.
- Season the chowder to taste with salt and pepper and serve in warmed bowls.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)