Lasagne with Garlic Bread & Salad
A classic beef lasagne served with a simple side salad and home-made garlic bread.
- 220g of cheddar cheese, grated
- two-thirds cos lettuce, leaves torn
- 1 large onion (approx 210g), finely chopped
- 1 ciabatta loaf, cut in half & into strips
- 500g of minced beef
- 800g of tinned chopped tomatoes
- 80g of Parmesan cheese, grated
- 6 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 60g of margarine/butter
- 60g of plain white flour
- 8 lasagne sheets
- 570ml of milk
- 2 tbsp dried mixed herbs
- 4 tsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 large garlic cloves, 1 chopped, 2 crushed
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 70 mins
- Oven temp: 180c
- Price per person: £2.55
- Store cupboard: Typical
- Calories per serving: 1693
- 5-a-day per serving: 2.6
- Print Recipe
- Preheat the oven. To make the beef ragu, heat 2 tbsp oil in a large saucepan and fry the mince over a high heat for 4-5 minutes, or until browned. Remove and set aside. Add more oil to the pan, if necessary, and cook the onion and chopped garlic for 4-5 minutes, or until the onion is soft. Return the mince to the pan and stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and 1 tbsp mixed herbs. Gently simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the sauce becomes a thicker consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, to make the white sauce, melt 4 tbsp margarine/butter in a large saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook over a medium heat for 1 minute. Turn down the heat and add only as much milk as the mixture can absorb to make a slightly smoother paste. Work the paste to an even consistency before adding a little more milk and repeat. Once the paste has a creamy consistency, gradually stir in the remaining milk. Bring to the boil and simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Stir in 120g cheddar cheese and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Soften the lasagne sheets in a large pan of boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and rub the surfaces with 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil to stop them sticking.
- Spoon one third of the tomato sauce and one third of the white sauce into a greased ovenproof dish and top with half the lasagne sheets. Repeat the process until all the white sauce, tomato sauce and lasagne sheets are used up, ending with a topping of white sauce.
- Sprinkle 50g Parmesan cheese and remaining cheddar cheese evenly over the top. Place the lasagne in the oven and cook for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to make the salad dressing, mix together the vinegar, 4 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp mixed herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To make the garlic bread, toast the bread for 2 minutes, or until crispy. Mix together the crushed garlic and 2 tbsp margarine/butter. Spread over the bread and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese. Place in the oven for 5 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Toss the lettuce leaves with the dressing and serve with the cooked lasagne and garlic bread.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)