Bacon & Broccoli Pasta Grill
Crispy bacon, broccoli and pasta in a creamy cheese sauce and grilled until golden and bubbling.
- 250g of value smoked back bacon, chopped
- 1 medium head of broccoli (approx 300g), cut into florets
- 160g of cheddar cheese, grated
- 200g of value pasta shapes
- 500ml of milk
- 2 tbsp margarine/butter
- 2 tbsp plain white flour
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Serves: 4
- Course: Main Course
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins
- Price per person: £1.03
- Store cupboard: Basic
- Calories per serving: 718
- 5-a-day per serving: 0.9
- Print Recipe
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time cook the broccoli in a separate saucepan in lightly salted boiling water for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Drain the pasta and broccoli and set aside.
- To make the cheese sauce, melt the margarine/butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook over a medium heat for 1 minute. Turn down the heat and add only as much milk as the mixture can absorb to make a slightly smoother paste. Work the paste into a smooth and glossy consistency before adding a little more milk. Repeat until the paste has a creamy consistency. Gradually stir in the remaining milk, turn up the heat and gently simmer, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens. Stir in two-thirds of the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the bacon for 5-6 minutes, or until cooked and crispy. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat the grill to a medium/high heat. Toss the pasta, broccoli, bacon and cheese sauce together and season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle with the remaining grated cheese. Place under the grill and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until the top is golden and bubbling.
Add a comment
Tried this recipe? Why not add a comment below and let us know what you thought of it. (You need a Facebook, Hotmail, AOL or Yahoo account to add a comment.)